Thursday, January 5, 2012

Audiobook Review:The Rum Diary by, Hunter S. Thompson narrated by, Campbell Scott




The Rum Diary by, Hunter S. Thompson narrated by, Campbell Scott


These journalists don’t seem to do much reporting except to each other about the beach, drinking and women. But they aren’t getting paid so I guess that explains why they aren’t really working. This reads like a day in the life but it is called a diary so I guess it sets out to tell the story that way. Once you realize this then you can just go with it and enjoy the storytelling.

This book really doesn’t ever get around to telling you what it’s really about other than as I said a day in the life it’s just kind of a romp through the underbelly of a town and people with corruption and murder and drinking and cheating. Of course this was written by a very young Thompson and was only published as I understand it at the urging of Johnny Depp who I wish had done the narration for this audiobook.

I am not sure how I feel about Campbell Scott’s narration of this book there were times it sounded like he needed a drink of water a lot of popping and clicking mouth noises between words. I also don’t understand the track length on this production some tracks were up to 17 minutes long and others were 1-4 minutes there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to the length of the tracks. However there were times I liked his narration then he’d do a different voice and it wasn’t that great again.

I received this book from the publisher via the Audiobook jukebox Solid Gold reviewer program.

3 stars-Good Book but some things didn't connect with me

No comments:

Post a Comment