Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Come Home by, Lisa Scottoline narrated by, Maggi-Meg Reed Audiobook Review

Come Home by, Lisa Scottoline narrated by, Maggi-Meg Reed


Received from Audiobook Jukebox Solid Gold Reviewer Program
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Synopsis from Goodreads:
Jill Farrow is a typical suburban mom who has finally gotten her and her daughter's lives back on track after a divorce. She is about to remarry, her job as a pediatrician fulfills her---though it is stressful---and her daughter, Megan, is a happily over-scheduled thirteen-year-old juggling homework and the swim team.
But Jill’s life is turned upside down when her ex-stepdaughter, Abby, shows up on her doorstep late one night and delivers shocking news: Jill’s ex-husband is dead. Abby insists that he was murdered and pleads with Jill to help find his killer. Jill reluctantly agrees to make a few inquiries and discovers that things don’t add up. As she digs deeper, her actions threaten to rip apart her new family, destroy their hard-earned happiness, and even endanger her own life. Yet Jill can’t turn her back on a child she loves and once called her own.
Come Home reads with the breakneck pacing of a thriller while also exploring the definition of motherhood, asking the questions: Do you ever stop being a mother? Can you ever have an ex-child? What are the limits to love of family?


My Review:
Let me preface by saying I am a fan of Lisa Scottoline but this book was not one of her best. I think it was because there are very few likable characters in this book. I am part of a very, very blended family and can understand more Jill’s point and not Sam’s he really got on my nerves, these girls though now grown women were at one time her daughter’s they lived in the same home and lived as a family. At first I understood his apprehension a little because Abby was drunk but after that he was such a jerk about the whole situation.

It’s not that I didn’t like this book I did well, it was a little better than ok but not great. The characters are unlikeable, whiny or full of hatred and jealousy. I also didn’t really understand the whole storyline with the little boy well in the way I didn’t think it added anything to story except to try to get us to like Jill because she is caring.

As for the audio production I was impressed with Maggi-Meg Reed’s of the young girl with braces because I knew she had braces before the book mentioned it. However there was a lot of crying and wailing going on and that got annoying so that part of it I had wished I’d read instead of having to hear it. The narration was a bit over the top and I am not totally convinced I wouldn’t have liked this book more if the characters hadn’t all sounded so whiny. I would listen to this narrator again and I thought I had listened and now that I looked she narrated one of my all time favorite Lisa Gardner books (Hide) so yes I would listen to her again.

Wow the ending got really chicklit sappy, everything all wrapped up in a bow and Sam’s turnaround was so fast I thought I had missed something, I even went back and re-listened to a couple chapters but I didn’t miss anything it all happened with a blink of an eye.

I guess what my rambling is trying to say is try this one in print I think the characters will sound less whiny than they do in the audio version but this isn’t one of Lisa Scottoline’s best books.

I received this audiobook from Audiobook Jukebox’s Solid Gold Reviewer Program and Macmillan Audio for a fair and honest review.

3 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment