Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Divergent & Insurgent by, Veronica Roth narrated by, Emma Galvin

Divergent by, Veronica Roth narrated by, Emma Galvin
This was an interesting dystopian YA book, Chicago been split into factions, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent), which were honestly a little confusing when listening on audio with no way to go back in the book to see what each of them are. I also have no idea if the entire country/world was split like this too or if it’s just Chicago , was Chicago the only place left with people I don’t know these were just a few unanswered questions I had. When you are 17 you take an aptitude test to help you decide which faction you will choose most choose the one they grew up in but some don’t as is the case with Beatrice (AKA-Tris) but she is different she has an aptitude for more than one faction which is divergent and divergent is not a good thing to be. But there seems to be things wrong with this society and the factions seem to be starting to turn on each other and in some cases themselves.

A lot of people have compared this to the Hunger Games because it was the last big dystopian book but I thought it was kind of a cross between it and The Giver, because this is supposed to be a perfect society but of course in the light of day is not.

I liked the characters, Tris was strong yet so insecure but when pushed will kick some butt, the little romance you can see coming a mile away but I did like Four because his attitude was really for his own good and the good of others. 

The ending felt a bit rushed, with everything leading up to it and then when the fight does come it all happens so fast. And what a cliffhanger, I look forward to the next book in this series.

Audio production: Emma Galvin was a new to me narrator who did a very good job at the narration of this one she sounded just the right age sometimes with a young adult book the narrator tries too hard to sound like a teenager but Emma was spot on as Tris. She reminded me a bit of Jenna Lamia which from me is a huge complement.

With all the hype surrounding this book I am happy to say I really enjoyed this one and wasn’t disappointed I may not have loved it as much as some but I still give it a solid 4 stars.

Insurgent by, Veronica Roth narrated by, Emma Galvin

In my review of Divergent I asked the question: is the whole world is split into factions or if it’s just Chicago well we get some of the answers to this in Insurgent and I cannot wait for the next book in this series to hear the rest of the story. It’s quite a revelation at the end of this book and WOW I don’t want to wait to read the next one!

I really enjoy this series, this was action packed and Tris was so guilt riddled from events in Divergent that she was even more of an adrenalin junkie than ever before. Or is she just trying to get herself killed?

We find out that Tris isn’t as unique and we thought in the first book and that causes major trouble in all the factions. We get a closer look at the factionless and there are some surprises there. Ok that’s all I can say without giving too much away.

I really enjoy this dystopian world, the factions are very interesting and we see how each one had its place and what they bring to the table. I like the relationship between Tris and Tobias (Four) they both are so flawed for different reasons and hold everything inside that nothing is easy for them including their relationship with each other. I also feel like this is a relationship not so much a romance there’s very few kissyface moments it’s about trust and respect and counting on each other , and we’ll see if in the end they can make it work or not.

Be warned the ending is a Huge cliffhanger and will leave you clamoring for the next book; Veronica Roth kept me completely fascinated throughout this book and sit in my garage so I didn’t have to stop listening because I just needed to know what happens next. Ms. Roth Please write fast because I want the next book NOW!!

Emma Galvin’s narration was again spot on she is the voice of Tris she reads this with great feeling and the emphasis is always right. One small thing was in one spot she said that Tris put her mouth over her hand not her hand over her mouth and I haven’t looked through the paper copy to find the exact spot to see if it was a typo in the book itself or if it was just a narrator oops. But it only took me out of the book for a minute or two and gave me a giggle.

This story just gets better I highly recommend if you like YA Dystopian.

4 ½ Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment