Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash Narrated by Lorna Raver Mark Bramhall & Nick Sullivan


A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash Narrated by Lorna Raver Mark Bramhall & Nick Sullivan 

I maybe shouldn’t have started another southern book so soon after finishing The Homecoming of Samuel Lake which swept me off my feet and gave me a heck of a book hangover. There were times I was really into this story then it would cut back to the past and talk about something else which was somewhat related to the story being told but took me out of the present story. If you are a follower of my reviews you know I like a story that goes back and forth in time but this one seemed to do it without warning and took me a bit to catch up.

The zealous religion in this one reminded me of Rapture of Canaan by, Sheri Reynolds. The pastor is not a good man and is pretty much a psychopath. It had me thinking the old saying “Lord save me from your followers.”

There actually wasn’t many likable characters in this book because everyone seemed to be hiding something and when the big (*No Spoilers*) came I would have done the same thing as Ben did and didn’t feel one bit sorry for the other parties. My problem with the characters was if even one person who knew the truth had spoke up would events have been different? I am not talking just Jess either the midwife too if you read her first section what if she had told the truth then?

This is a very sad book without a happy ending, and as I’ve said in other reviews I like a HEA even if it’s just some kind of redemption and this book didn’t really have that or a conclusion I felt like Jess was left hanging at the end and am curious about his relationship with his mother as he got older.

This was a good story nothing really groundbreaking but a good well written story none the less and I would read other books by this author.

The Narration by, Lorna Raver, Mark Bramhall & Nick Sullivan was very well done and they embodied the voice of each characters perfectly.

If you are looking for a happy story this ain’t it but if you want a well told story about the dangers of believing that some crazy snake charmer is a man of God then you’ll enjoy this one.

3 ½ Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment