Thursday, December 27, 2012

Diary of a Mad Fat Girl by Stephanie McAfee, narrated by, Cassandra Campbell



Diary of a Mad Fat Girl  by Stephanie McAfee, narrated by, Cassandra Campbell
I don't usually put synopsis on here but wanted to show that the synopsis made this sound like a laugh out loud book:
Synopsis:Graciela "Ace" Jones is mad-mad at her best friend Lilly who cancels their annual trip to Panama City for mysterious reasons; at her boss Catherine for "riding her ass like a fat lady on a Rascal scooter;" at her friend Chloe's abusive husband; and especially at Mason McKenzie, the love of her life, who has shown up with a marriage proposal three years too late. Ace is never mad, though, at her near-constant companion, an adorable chiweenie dog named Buster Loo. Ace's anger begins to dissipate as she takes matters into her own hands to take down Chloe's philandering husband-and to get to the bottom of a multitude of other scandals plaguing Bugtussle, Mississippi. Then, she starts to realize that maybe Mason deserves a second chance after all. With a sharp and distinctive voice, Stephanie McAfee delivers a hilarious and fast-paced tale about Ace Jones and her two best friends-thick as thieves and tough as nails-navigating Southern small-town politics and prejudices, finding love, and standing up for each other all the way
My review:
I didn't listen to this for any literary reason from the title I thought it would fun or at least funny, it was in ways but it wasn't laugh out loud funny, there were funny moments. I liked Ace at first until she totally turned into the jealous insecure woman I hate, these kinds of women drive me insane and Ace was everything I can’t stand about them, i.e. Another woman looked at you, talked to you, whatever to you so you must be cheating on me because I am “fat” ugly” “an idiot” and get out because I know what you are doing and now I am going to go have sex with someone else but you have no right to have an opinion on that! This made me almost shut this book off with less than 2 hours to go, but I thought ok let’s see if she redeems herself. And then of course she leads on the guy she sleeps with and you end up with a bit of a triangle of her own making that of course doesn’t go well at all.

Also Mad is an understatement this woman is just angry at the world and I’m really not sure why I guess I was hoping the title meant Mad in a crazy fun way not the angriest person to walk to earth. She’s pretty lucky she has any friends at all. There are parts of this book I liked but then Ace is just not likable and doesn’t seem to grow at all throughout the book. Even the ending I guess I don’t see why this guy would be so gungho to want her back just don’t get it.

Cassandra Campbell is as always a great narrator even though this set in the south Cassandra decided not to give anyone a southern accent which I think was a good choice because this is set in Bugtussle it could have easily turned into a cartoony Beverly Hillbillies accent and I think that would have made this book unbearable.

2 ½ (barely)Star book
4 Star narration

No comments:

Post a Comment