Friday, March 14, 2014

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood Narrated by, Simon Vance



The Ghost Writer  by John Harwood Narrated by, Simon Vance

I so enjoyed John Harwood’s book The Asylum it kept me interested all the way through, but with The Ghost Writer it was very easy to get distracted and the back and forth between Viola’s story and Gerard’s was at times very confusing especially on audio. And the ending was rushed and very abrupt, I thought there was one more chapter but no it just ended and was very unsatisfying.

Simon Vance’s narration was very well done and he added a good degree of spookiness to the reading however even he couldn’t save me from the dragginess of this book. ( I don’t care if that is not a word I think it fits well!) Maybe this would have worked better with 2 narrators one for Viola and one for Gerard, but I don’t think even that could have saved this one.

I didn’t hate this book but I sure didn’t love it, it was just an okay read for me. I also think the title gives a lot away I mean it is obvious very quickly just who the ghost writer is so it kind of takes away the mystery of that, leaving no feeling of mystery or urgency.

In the last month or so I have read some really great ghost stories and maybe that is one of the reasons this one fell short for me is because the other ghost stories were so much better.

2 ½ Stars


I received this book from the Audiobookjukebox.com Solid Gold Reviewer program and the Publisher Blackstone Audio for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment